Thursday, January 19, 2006

One Speed is All You Need

I took a ride on my newly re-converted singlespeed yesterday.



The one gear makes the bike very light, quiet, and simple.



There are many mountain bikers out there, like Zack, who make riding tough terrain with one gear look ridiculously easy. After just cruising around some dirt paths yesterday on this, I really have to give them props. My trigger finger was twitching all over the place, looking for that nonexistent shift level to find another gear. A lot of the time I was either spinning out or bogging down, and my legs were always yearning for their optimal cadence, which I could rarely find. In the world of true mountain biking, singlespeeding really teaches you to refine your pedal stroke, preserve your momentum, and plan ahead. (You also need a very strong core and healthy knees!)

While I love how cool this bike is, I have come to the conclusion that I am not a skilled enough mountain biker to appreciate the extra challenges of the singlespeed. What I really love about my geared bike is it's Swiss Army Knife versatility. I can blaze along the road in my big ring to get to a trailhead, then creep up steep hills and technical sections in my granny gear. And for now, I definitely need all those options!! Perhaps when my skills have improved and I'm finding that things are feeling too easy, I'll revisit the unique experience of taking on every trail, whether smooth or rocky, with one gear. In the meantime, in the world of just getting around town, it's a fun toy to have!

However. In my current situation of two-job debt fighting, I'm pondering selling this bike, most likely by parting it out. I could definitely shorten the time I spend working two jobs, or else pad my savings account, by doing so. While I hate to part from any bicycle I own, especially since this one has an interesting history (it belonged to Allison Sydor, a professional Trek racer who was extremely successful), I rarely ride it. It's mostly a showpiece. And since it's a pretty high-end bike, although a bit older now, it really should belong to someone who will ride it, race it, love it the way I love my other mountain bike.

But you know me... I might give it a few more rides before I make up my mind. :-)

1 comment:

LFR said...

yo girl! I wanted to hook up with you today, but I wound up busy, sleeping late, riding too much, and then struggling to fix the wireless bugs on my new notebook.

o yea OFS suckaz! singlespeeding's the way to go.

Call me tomorrow (sunday)!!