Friday, January 06, 2006

Money, Tools and the Mysterious Heat

Serendipity strikes again! After I made it a goal to get out of debt, I got a call yesterday morning from Polaris Images in New York. They had a job that needed to be shot in Westminster (yes, I mean in Colorado) for the London Sunday Times. It was for a story about Tomboy Tools, a company out of Denver that makes tools for women... you know, like power drills that are smaller and lighter and ergonomically designed for smaller hands, etc. They sell them through "tool parties," like the old Tupperware parties, at people's homes. This company is expanding into the U.K., so this London paper wanted pictures from a tool party that was happening last night. Luckily I was free to do it, but it sure made for a long day, since I had to transmit the photos immediately afterward. I ended up working from 8am to 11pm... ugh! But I'll make about $400 once Polaris takes its cut, which is way better pay than I'm going to get at my second job.

Anyhow, here's one of the women from the party:



This girl was really funny. When she was told that the drill could be used on masonry, concrete, etc., she asked, "Will it go through bone?"

So after busting my ass all day, I got home and found that my tempermental thermostat was on the blink again, and my house was 80 degrees. I threw open all the windows, but the heat kept cranking, and I could barely sleep from being too warm. But I have no idea how to make the heat shut off!! I turned the thermostat all the way down, but that does nothing at all. Thank god I don't pay for the heat, but it's wasteful nonetheless. Plus it's totally annoying to have a down comforter on your bed when your house is 80 degrees. Grrrr. I always get pissy after a bad night's sleep.

The good news is that the weather is supposed to be great this weekend! I'm long overdue to put in some long slow miles on the bike (as opposed to the long, high-intensity miles I put in during the Moab trip last week), so that's my goal for the weekend.

Zack and I weren't feeling the photo vibe in Moab, so the few pictures we shot are pretty lame. I'll try to get one or two up here soon, though.

No comments: