Friday, November 18, 2005

Making Cookies Out of Dog Shit

Do I have that right, Zack? I think this is the phrase one of his coworkers uses. And I plan to adopt it as the Daily Camera photographers' slogan because it's so amazingly appropriate.

I got sent over to this dorky little ice rink that opened today, with the added pressure of being asked to make a front-page picture, and guess what? Nobody knows it's open. Plus it's a gorgeous day, the kind that would motivate you to hike or run, not ice skate. For hours I sat by an empty ice rink, getting more and more bored. Finally a lone woman showed up, but she could barely stay upright on her skates. She was extremely slow-moving and tentative. Not that I could do any better, since I haven't ice skated since middle school, but she was not the best subject for a desperate photographer. Then I noticed that the warmth of the day had created a puddle of water on the surface, and I finally had a photograph:



It just figures that in the next day's paper it was the lead photo on the front page, but my co-worker Mark Leffingwell got credit for it. It's like a little microcosm of what happens in life sometimes... you bust your ass making cookies out of dog shit, and then someone else, usually someone who skates through life with very little effort, gets credit for your hard work. But hell, my job is still way better than most!!

No comments: