Thursday, October 27, 2005

Yesterday's Stuff

Sometimes I really enjoy assignments like this. I can just mess around with light and try to make it as pretty as possible. But let's face it, what I liked even more is that they gave me the chocolate when I was done! I find that if I touch the food while "arranging it for the camera," they tend to give it to me afterwards. :-)



This Viognier from the Bookcliffs Vineyards pairs well with all-natural chocolates from the Belvedere Belgian Chocolate Shop in Boulder.


And then something completely different: the vigil for the 2,000 American soldiers killed in the Iraq war. Not to make fun of this event in any way, but I did find it slightly amusing that no one had the attention span to stay silent the whole time. People started talking, or leaving, or just getting fidgety. You know they were all thinking about what to make for dinner, or how their workday went, or some other thing. But I think it's just human nature that you can't totally relate to something unless it's happening to you directly. I was impressed that 350 people showed up, period.
This picture didn't run in the paper; I put it here so it will have an outlet.
I'm always wondering how much kids understand when they attend vigils like this.



Emerson Guy, 4, and Penny Guy, of Erie, participate in a candlelight vigil to mourn this week's tally of 2,000 American soldiers killed in the Iraq war. The vigil was one of many across the country.

I don't feel like I made a great photo at this event... the lighting conditions are so bad that it makes it hard, plus people are sometimes a bit uptight. Luckily these folks were nice to me. I feel like the Vigil Queen because I did one for the Katrina victims, too:



Charles Gilford, left, and Tynesha Matthews listen to the University of Colorado 's Umoja Gospel Choir during a candlelight vigil held to honor the victims of Hurricane Katrina at the University Memorial Center on Wednesday evening. Matthews had planned to attend Xavier University in New Orleans this fall. The event, held simultaneously with vigils at nine other universities, was organized by CU's Black Student Alliance and the Big XII Council on Black Student Government.

Plus all the other vigils I've attended throughout my ten years at the Daily Camera... but I can't complain. It's still a pretty interesting job!

1 comment:

LFR said...

dude, your blog kicks my blog's arse.

Eventually I'll get a handle on this HTML crapola... sigh.