Thursday, May 11, 2006

First Ned Ride of the Season

No, it's not a man named Ned, you perverts!! I'm talking about the fabulous trails in Nederland, at 8,000 feet, which are just now getting dry enough to ride.

I headed up there on Sunday, and of course, even though I was looking for a nice steady ride by myself, I ended up running into a group of folks from BMA, the local trail advocacy group. I rode with them for a bit, not wanting to seem rude:



One of the guys wanted to shoot a group shot:



It's Jason, Botsie, John, Gary, Erin, me, and Mike. Several of these guys are board members of BMA. Gary recently got married, I learned, and I wanted to ask,"Does this mean you'll stop staring at my tits?" Because this guy was the worst I have ever seen. I really have to appreciate how young men have learned to leer more invisibly. Guys of Gary's age are just hopeless. But Gary does great work for mountain biking, so I used to always suffer in silence for the cause. Geez.

But eventually I realized I just wanted to ride alone. I usually love group rides, and these are all nice folks, but that day I really wanted to pedal in silence, and not stop so much. So with apologies, I took off on my own. I started climbing and climbing, and found my way up to some snowdrifts:



The weather was wacky! It would be sunny for a while, then cloud over and start snowing in this weird, mini-hailing kind of way, and then get sunny again. Meanwhile, the temperature held steady, so I never really had to put arm warmers on.



The trails were in great shape:



Ahhh, I love Ned. Now I'll be up there constantly!!

This Saturday is my next race, down in Lakewood. I'm going to hang with Joey afterwards. Maybe he'll shoot some photos for me to post!

3 comments:

gewilli said...

that is the damn cutest mt biker chick i've ever seen (or very close to it)...

great shots!

Vogelman! said...

Marty,

That message about Gary is fuckin' hi-larious! I'll keep my staring on the down low...Jason

Marty said...

Oh, man, now I feel embarrassed! I really thought my mom was the only person to read this. ;)
But luckily I'm not the only person to complain about the lack of eye contact... Scott Gordon's girlfriend Lisa was bugged by it, too.
Whatever you're doing, if anything, is undetectable. Nice work.