Friday, March 10, 2006

Swingin'



I went swing dancing last night, with Phil, Juliet and Kerry. What a blast!! We went to the Mercury Cafe in Denver, where we had a lesson, and then an hour or so of putting together everything we learned. Those guys had been before, but I wasn't too lost, since Zack and I had learned the basic steps as part of a teaching program he did for work. But I had to learn to do turns and keep it together while all sorts of new things were added. Juliet was kind enough to find other partners while Phil brought me up to speed, and he was very good-natured as I stumbled around adding about sixteen steps to turns that should have been two. At least I didn't step on his feet!

The people-watching was great -- lots of folks of every age, size, color and shape out there having fun, some learning like us, others competitive dancers who were mind-bogglingly good. And the music was great. I love swing music. I know this will come as a shock to those who know what a metal head I am these days, but you know, it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing. Frank Sinatra doing "Mack the Knife" and that song that always makes me think of my mom, "The Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy From Company B." Totally cool. I was always watching the older folks, imagining what it was like to be a young person when the swing craze first hit.

After learning way too many turns and variations to possibly contain in my feeble mind, and experiencing a competely deflated hairdo, I managed to peel the grin off my face and be persuaded to leave. I might have to go again next week! Cindy and her husband Matt swing dance, too, so maybe I can drag them along next time.

No comments: