Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Other Side of Erie

Yes, the town I wanted to call Eerie has an older, less yuppie side, and weirdly enough, it's the neighborhood next to the airport. I know, that sounds like the start of a comedy skit, but there really is a substantial group of homes around the airport, and some of them have been there a long time.

And don't worry, Beth -- I remember your place in Erie, and it's nowhere near the section that's practically in Nebraska. :-)

Anyhow, we did a story on dome homes, and this couple in Erie loves flying, so they bought this double-dome home --which everyone calls the Dolly Parton House -- right off the runway. And you guessed it: one of the domes holds their plane.

The house side:



The hangar:



It will come as no surprise to you that the house was built in 1978 (gee, what gave it away?) by another fly-happy pilot who wanted to taxi right out of his house and take off. I wonder if you just radio the air traffic controller from your driveway?

I thought the house was pretty ugly, to be honest, but I loved the concept. I want a house with a garage that leads right onto a zillion miles of singletrack. And it should have a power-wash chamber that you step into after riding that washes you AND the bike with zero effort. Sweet! Frank Lloyd Wright, eat your heart out.

No comments: