Thursday, February 08, 2007

Mmmmm....food.

Sometimes I think I should quit the news biz and become a food photographer. I seem to be decent at it and it's fun.

From a story on Valentine's Day food:


Oysters with champagne "caviar," from Q's Restaurant.


Spinach mousse with Meyer lemon. I got to taste both of these, and they were delicious. The concept was food that you could feed your sweetheart, which is why they're bite-size portions. (I think I would probably throw up if I had to watch another couple feed each other in public, though. I mean, come ON. Gross.)

I just like to analyze the dish and figure out how to light it in a pretty way, and make it look tasty. I usually use just a combination of window light and one flash... I'm always amazed that it looks pretty tolerable. I mean, it's no fancy studio light like the food pros would do, but what the hell. I work for a small-town newspaper.

A few weeks ago we did a story on liquor for winter sipping, and I got this good layout with my photo:


But honestly, I don't think I could do this kind of thing full-time. I'd really miss being outside, for one thing. Plus, I really do like to shoot things that move and talk. :)

No comments: